The world drops out

I lost my ability to read in the old way. When I open a book, the words sort themselves into narrow-minded single file on the page; the mirror-image poems erase themselves half-formed in my mind. I miss those poems. Sometimes at night, in secret, I still limp purposefully around my apartment, like Mr. Hyde, trying to recover my old ways of seeing and thinking. Like Jekyll I crave that particular darkness curled up within me. Sometimes it almost comes. The books on the shelf rise up in solid lines of singing color, the world drops out, and its hidden shapes snap forward to meet my eyes. But it never lasts. By morning light, the books are all hunched together again with their spines turned out, fossilized, inanimate.




Barbara Kingsolver, The Poisonwood Bible (2021).


Google Books: https://books.google.com/books?id=QJ0JmYmeHFAC&pg=PT588

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jeremiah Saw What Others Refused to See

Top Posts / About

Live Enchanted, Beyond Control